Xavier Boyce faces child abuse charge
BLACKSBURG, Va. -- Blacksburg police say a Virginia Tech football player is facing child abuse charges in connection with injuries to his infant child.
The Roanoke Times reported that 20-year-old Xavier Boyce and girlfriend Olivia Hutchins were arrested Wednesday on charges related to cruelty and injuries to the girl. Boyce is a redshirt sophomore split end.
Police say they believe the child was injured Jan. 31 at the couple's home but didn't say in what way the child was hurt.
Boyce and Hutchins were released on bond.
Under the school's athletic department policy, any athlete charged with a felony is automatically suspended from all athletic-related activities. That means Boyce won't be able to participate in spring practice.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- OK State has APR penalty rescinded by NCAA
- Kentucky great 'Wah Wah' Jones dies at 88
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Virginia Tech Hokies Mini Rubber Football