Illinois taking out 2,200 seats
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- The University of Illinois will permanently remove about 2,200 seats from Memorial Stadium because the bleachers are getting too old to use.
Illinois spokesman Kent Brown said Tuesday the move will drop the stadium's capacity from 62,870 to about 60,600. He said the aluminum bleacher seats in the stadium's south end zone were installed in 1982 and intended to be temporary.
Engineers who have examined the seats say they should be removed. Brown said the seats aren't unsafe yet, but might be in a few years.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Illinois Fighting Illini Blue #45 Football Game Jersey