Lance Ray released from scholarship
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas receiver Lance Ray has been granted a release from his scholarship.
Razorbacks coach Bobby Petrino confirmed the release through a spokesman, who declined to say whether Ray asked for his release or was kicked off the team.
Ray was charged with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance after being arrested in his dorm room on Jan. 31. A preliminary police report says Ray had a brown rolled cigarette containing a substance that tested positive for marijuana.
He was not allowed to go through spring practice with the Razorbacks after playing in nine games last season as a redshirt freshman. Ray caught one pass and returned 23 kicks for an average of 22.5 yards per return.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
- Washington QB Miles suspended for opener
- Bowling Green gets former Baylor WR Rhodes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Arkansas Razorbacks 'Quick Toss' Softee Football