Danny Wuerffel undergoing treatment
ATLANTA -- Former Heisman Trophy winner Danny Wuerffel is undergoing treatment for a potentially debilitating disease called Guillain Barre Syndrome.
Desire Street Ministries -- a nonprofit, faith-based organization with which Wuerffel works -- said in a statement Wednesday that the former quarterback contracted the disorder from a stomach virus.
Spokeswoman Sara Pace said Wuerffel was initially hospitalized in Montgomery, Ala., and later transferred to Birmingham but is now receiving outpatient treatment at a location that the family would like to remain private. He expects to make a full recovery.
The syndrome occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks parts of the nervous system.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders
- Penn State president: Freeh report 'not useful'
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Two ex-Vanderbilt players convicted of rape
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Florida Gators Blue Football Practice Legend T-shirt