Give 'em a hand
In Texas, football fans show their loyalty with their fingers
In the early 1970s, L. Glenn Dippel, Texas Tech Class of '61, was living in Austin and got fed up with the ubiquitous Hook 'em Horns. "I would've just as soon given them a one-finger salute, but we would have had to change our mascot to a unicorn," Dippel jokes. With inspiration from mascot Raider Red and his six-shooters, Dippel and wife Roxie, a fellow Tech alum, created the L-shaped hand pistol salute (demonstrated by pom squad member Abby Bertrand).
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns 'shocked, upset' by resignation
- UW coach: Rules claims are 'untrue attacks'
- Report: BC, ND in talks to play at Fenway Park
- Bama LB Dickson suspended for Sugar Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN The Magazine: August 09, 2010
Check out the content from ESPN The Magazine's August 23, 2010 issue below.
- Nike Men's Texas Longhorns #28 White Replica Football Jersey