Wake Forest 24

(3-2, 1-1 ACC)

Virginia 27

(3-1, 2-0 ACC)

Coverage: ABC Regional coverage

3:30 PM ET, September 27, 2003

Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA

1 2 3 4 T
WAKE 0 7 14 324
UVA 3 7 3 1427

Virginia 27, Wake Forest 24

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) -- Jamaine Winborne's interception in the final minute set up Connor Hughes' field goal with 10 seconds left as Virginia beat Wake Forest 27-24 on Saturday.

Hughes made all four field-goal attempts, including a career-long 53-yarder that tied it with less than two minutes left.

Virginia (3-1, 2-0 ACC) overcame five turnovers, including three second-half interceptions by Matt Schaub, who returned to the starting lineup after injuring his throwing shoulder in the season opener against Duke.

With the score tied at 24, Wake Forest (3-2, 1-1) faced a third-and-10 at its own 46 with 43 seconds remaining. Cory Randolph scrambled, but waited too long to throw to an open Jason Anderson. Winborne stepped in front and returned the ball to the Wake 33.

Schaub hit Heath Miller with a 15-yard pass, setting up the winning field goal.

More often than not, Virginia's offense, which amassed 477 yards, stopped itself. The Cavaliers turned the ball over five times, and punted only twice.

Schaub, 18-for-22 for 203 yards and a touchdown in the first half, threw three interceptions in the second half. Last year, when he was the ACC offensive player of the year, he threw only seven interceptions the entire season. He finished 30-of-45 for 326 yards and two touchdowns.

Virginia, starting on its own 8 with 5:17 remaining after Wake failed to convert a fourth-and-2, drove to the Wake 35, then sent in Hughes for the 53-yard field goal to tie it at 24 with 1:51 remaining.

Wake, which trailed 13-7 in the third quarter, became energized following Warren Braxton's interception of a tipped pass. The Deacons followed the interception with a 52-yard touchdown drive. Randolph scrambled for a first down on a fourth-and-7 from the Virginia 36, and finished the drive with a 1-yard quarterback sneak into the end zone for a 14-13 lead.

The Deacons got the ball back and Randolph threw a 47-yard TD strike to Jason Anderson, who was wide open after safety Jay Dorsey let Anderson get behind him.

Schaub showed no ill effects from his injury, scrambling for 4 yards on the game's first play from scrimmage, and going 4-for-4 for 63 yards on the opening drive, until Kase Luzar fumbled on the Demon Deacons 1 and Wake recovered for a touchback.

The Cavaliers got the ball back and drove 58 yards, finishing with a 39-yard field goal by Hughes to make it 3-0.

Wake responded with a 14-play, 79-yard TD drive capped by a 2-yard TD run by Cornelius Biggs, who carried the ball eight times on the drive.

The Cavaliers retook the lead with 5:09 left in the half when Schaub, under heavy pressure on a 3rd-and-17 play, hit Ottowa Anderson over the middle for a 25-yard touchdown play.

Wali Lundy led the Cavaliers with 137 yards on 27 carries.

Randolph finished 17-of-31 for 218 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions for the Deacons.