Stanford 0

(2-4, 0-4 Pac-12)

Oregon 35

(5-3, 2-2 Pac-12)

Coverage: ESPN Plus

3:30 PM ET, October 25, 2003

Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR

1 2 3 4 T
STAN 0 0 0 00
ORE 7 14 7 735

Oregon 35, Stanford 0

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) -- A shutout was just what the Oregon Ducks needed to snap out of their slump.

Terrence Whitehead ran for 172 yards and two scores as Oregon stopped a three-game losing streak with a 35-0 victory over struggling Stanford on Saturday.

It was the Ducks' first shutout of a Pacific-10 opponent since 1992, when they beat Oregon State 7-0.

"When you shutout somebody in the Pac-10, it doesn't matter who it is, it's a tremendous accomplishment," Oregon coach Mike Bellotti said. "I think it puts us back on track."

Kellen Clemens completed 15 of 17 passes for 149 yards, while fellow quarterback Jason Fife was 8-of-10 for 115 yards for the Ducks (5-3, 2-2 Pacific-10). Fife also ran for a score, as did Dante Rosario.

Stanford (2-4, 0-4), with its fourth straight loss, couldn't manage to score when it got to the Oregon 1 with a first down early in the fourth quarter. The drive ended after some back-and-fourth and seven snaps when the Cardinal turned the ball over on downs.

"The stand at the goal line was maybe one of the greatest things I've ever seen," Bellotti said.

Stanford used fifth-year senior QB Chris Lewis rather than freshman Trent Edwards, who had unseated Lewis as starter after the opener against San Jose State. But Edwards went down with a slight concussion and a shoulder sprain last week in Stanford's 24-14 loss to Washington State, and Lewis got the nod against Oregon.

Lewis completed 12 of 25 throws for 188 yards, but had three interceptions, including one that was returned for a touchdown. Mark Bradford had seven receptions for 153 yards for the Cardinal.

Clemens started and led the Ducks on an 80-yard drive that ended with Whitehead's 3-yard scoring run, putting Oregon on top with its first series.

The Ducks' defense then shook off any cobwebs left over from last week's bye when Kevin Mitchell intercepted Lewis' pass meant for Justin McCullum and ran it back 9 yards for a touchdown.

Jerry Matson reached Lewis just as he was making the pass, throwing off his aim.

"They did a good job of disguising that defense," Lewis said. "I thought they were going to come with the blitz, but Kevin (Mitchell) just dropped back and he was right in the passing lane."

Stanford had further trouble when Michael Sgroi's 39-yard field goal attempt went wide right.

Fife made an appearance in the second quarter, and was 4-for-4 as he promptly led Oregon on a 60-yard drive, capped by a 9-yard keeper to put the Ducks up 21-0. It was his fifth rushing touchdown this season.

Oregon tried to extend its lead going into halftime, but Jared Siegel's 53-yard field-goal attempt was wide right.

"I thought Oregon played with a lot of emotion," Lewis said. "We had a lot of opportunities in the first have to put the ball in, and that changed momentum."

Whitehead ran 44 yards for another score to open the second half. Rosario capped scoring with a a fourth-quarter 1-yard TD dash for Oregon, which opened the season with four straight victories and was ranked as high as No. 10 before it went on the three-game slide, punctuated by a 59-14 rout by Arizona State.

"We're back in action," Oregon outside linebacker David Martin said. "We want to finish the season 9-3 and go to a bowl game."

But Oregon was hurt in the first half when cornerback Steven Moore left the game with a strained left ankle.

The Ducks have struggled defending the pass, allowing previous opponents an average of 289.7 passing yards a game to rank 109th among 117 Division I-A teams.

Stanford passed for 225 yards against the Ducks.