Princeton 28, Cornell 6


PRINCETON, N.J. (AP) -- Matt Verbit threw two of his three
touchdown passes in a 22-second span in the first quarter Saturday
to help Princeton defeat Cornell 28-6 and hand the Big Red their
sixth straight loss.

Verbit hit tailback Jon Veach on a 32-yard scoring pass with
11:15 left in the first quarter, then found Blair Morrison on a
23-yard touchdown pass just seconds later after Princeton (2-5, 2-2
Ivy League) recovered a fumble.

Verbit also had a 16-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter
to Jon Dekker, capping a 12-play, 88-yard drive that consumed more
than five minutes.

Veach also scored on a 4-yard run in the fourth quarter to send
Cornell (1-6, 0-4) to its longest losing streak since it opened the
1985 season with six straight losses.

The Big Red have not lost seven games in a row in one season
since 1977, although they had a run that long spanning the 84-85

D.J. Busch and John Kellner of Cornell combined on a 37-yard
scoring pass play with 3:16 to play to prevent Princeton from
posting its first shutout since 1999.

Princeton's defense, which forced three turnovers and had four
sacks, contributed to both of the Tigers' quick first-quarter

Defensive linemen Peter Kelly and Joe Weiss had sacks on the
opening possession by the Big Red. Princeton took over at the
Cornell 32 following the punt.

On the first play, Cornell failed to pick up Veach circling out
of the backfield, and Verbit found him wide open along the left
sideline for a walk-in touchdown.

Quarterback Mick Razzano fumbled on Cornell's next play from
scrimmage while being chased by linebacker Alan Borelli. Weiss
recovered at the 23-yard line.

Verbit went to the right side on the Tigers' next play and found
Morrison behind linebacker Brad Kitlowski for another easy

Verbit, who was 13-of-23 for 239 yards, completed passes of 12
and 14 yards on the drive that he capped with a third-down TD pass
to Dekker.

Safety NickBrown had a fumble recovery and an interception in
the fourth quarter.

Cornell squandered a scoring chance on the opening drive of the
second half when Trevor MacMeekin's 38-yard field goal attempt
bounced off the upright.