(19) Nebraska 24

(8-2, 4-2 Big Ten)

Kansas 3

(5-5, 2-4 Big 12)

3:30 PM ET, November 8, 2003

Memorial Stadium (Lawrence, KS), Lawrence, KS

1 2 3 4 T
#19NEB 3 7 7 724
KU 0 3 0 03

Nebraska gets two TDs from Davies

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Many of their fans woke up Saturday morning to find their tires had been slashed. A defensive back was so sick he could hardly sleep.

Cory Ross

AP Photo

Cory Ross (center) ran for 108 yards in the Huskers' 24-3 destruction of rival Kansas.

So Nebraska (No. 16 ESPN/USA Today; No. 19 Associated Press) went out and made sure it was a bad day for Kansas, too.

The Cornhuskers intercepted freshman quarterback Adam Barmann three times and beat the Jayhawks for the 35th straight time, 24-3.

"We had some big plays that really helped us," Nebraska coach Frank Solich said. "We were able to get the momentum offensively and keep it through the entire second half."

The Huskers (8-2, 4-2 Big 12) have beaten Kansas (5-5, 2-4) every year since 1969, the second longest streak among major colleges to Notre Dame's 40-game streak against Navy.

Kansas' four turnovers were the key to this game.

"I made a few bad mistakes I shouldn't have thrown, a couple of passes I just forced in there," Barmann said. "Other than that, I thought we played pretty decently."

Twice the Jayhawks drove to first downs inside the 10. But Barmann threw an interception in the first half and later John Randle fumbled at the goal line.

"We just didn't execute in the red zone. Against a good Nebraska team, we can't do that and expect to win," Barmann said.

Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins issued a statement during the game apologizing to "our guests from Nebraska" who had their cars vandalized at several Lawrence motels Friday night. Police said more than 30 vehicles bearing Nebraska plates had their tires slashed.

Defensive back Jerrell Pippens, who was so sick he didn't even take the team bus to the stadium, had 10 tackles, blocked a field goal and made a key interception that led to a Nebraska touchdown.

The Jayhawks held the ball all but about three minutes of the second quarter but could manage only a 20-yard field goal in the final seconds to make it 10-3.

Pippens came in to block the initial try, but an offsides call gave Jerod Brooks another try and he made good.

"He did a heck of a job," defensive coordinator Bo Pelini said.

Pippens said he finally started feeling better after getting a ride to the stadium with athletic director Steve Pederson.

"Now I'm hungry," he said.

Judd Davies scored twice on short runs and Cory Ross rushed for 108 yards for the Huskers.

Barmann was 24-for-34 for 204 yards after making his debut the week before throwing for 294 yards and four touchdowns at Texas A&M.

Barmann said the Jayhawks did not spend much time talking about Nebraska's long winning streak.

"We talked about the fact we're not playing the Nebraska of old," he said. "We're playing the Nebraska of 2003. All we have to do is go out and play our game against this year's Nebraska team. They can't line up any players they've had in the past."

The Jayhawks were penalized eight times for 78 yards while Nebraska drew eight flags for 87. Typically, the crowd of 50,107 was crammed with Nebraska fans. Eight of the 12 biggest football crowds at Kansas have come against Nebraska.

The Jayhawks appeared to be going in for a touchdown that could have tied the game at 10 in the second quarter. But on second-and-5 from the 7, Barmann threw the ball right to Nebraska's Daniel Bullocks on the 1.

The Huskers -- aided by three major penalties -- drove all the way to a first-and-goal from the 6. Then as fullback Steve Kriewald bulled into the end zone, Kansas' Tony Stubbs knocked the ball loose and recovered the fumble himself for a touchback.

But the momentum and field position swung right back to the Huskers when Mark Simmons had Barmann's pass bounce off his hands to Nebraska safety Josh Bullocks, who made his NCAA-leading ninth interception on the 38.

The Huskers needed four plays for Davies to score on a 3-yard run for a 17-3 lead.

Nebraska's David Dychas hit a 28-yard field goal in the first period.

Pippens' interception in the second quarter led to Steve Kriewald's 1-yard TD run.

The Huskers put the game away with a 12-play, 81-yard drive midway through the fourth quarter. On third-and-20, Jamaal Lord hit Isaiah Fluellen for 39 yards to the 3, then Davies went into the end zone the next play for a 24-3 lead.