Kansas 21, Tulsa 3

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Holding Tulsa to just 141 yards and three
points surprised even Mark Mangino.

And he's the one who has been telling everyone how improved his
Kansas defense was going to be.

"I'll be honest with you. ... I thought we were going to be
better (but) I didn't think we were going to have this kind of
game," Mangino said Saturday night after the Jayhawks beat the
Golden Hurricane 21-3 in their season opener.

Tulsa quarterback James Kilian was pressured all night and hit
just 11 of 24 for 91 yards. He was intercepted twice and sacked six
times, including once by Tim Allen for a momentum-turning safety as
the Jayhawks held a Division I-A team without a touchdown for the
first time in almost five years.

"I think Kilian's a really good player," Mangino said. "What
did he have, 91 yards passing? Wow, that's a pretty good job."

Adam Barmann threw a touchdown pass and ran for another for the
Jayhawks, whose offense was sluggish in a dull first half that
ended in a 3-3 tie.

"They did a good job of getting in my face," said Kilian, who
moved into 10th place on Tulsa's career total offense list. "Maybe
if I would have made quicker decisions, but that would have been
the only way to avoid that situation."

Held to 80 total yards and one field goal in a ragged first
half, the Jayhawks took advantage of Tulsa mistakes to put the game
away with a touchdown and a safety in the fourth quarter.

After Tulsa had stopped Kansas on fourth-and-goal from the 2,
Allen blew through the middle and sacked Kilian in the end zone for
a safety that put Kansas on top 14-3.

A few minutes later, Kevin Kane intercepted Kilian's pass and
returned it 18 yards to the 2. Barmann, a sophomore who is
replacing the departed Bill Whittemore, then plowed his way into
the end zone from the 1.

Barmann connected with Charles Gordon on a 7-yard TD pass to cap
an 80-yard drive and make it 12-3 late in the third period. He
wound up hitting 14 of 31 for 99 yards while the Jayhawks totaled
only 201 yards themselves.

"We weren't as sharp as we wanted to be the first half,"
Barmann said. "But in the second half, we started coming around a
little bit."

The offense also seemed to get an immediate lift when John
Randle entered the game in the third period.

The sophomore running back, who sat out the first half after
violating team rules in the offseason, picked up 28 yards in an
89-yard drive late in the third. The drive, also aided by
successive penalties of 15 and 10 yards against Tulsa, reached a
first-and-goal from the 7 after Randle went 15 yards.

On second down, Gordon beat cornerback Nick Graham in the corner
of the end zone. Johnny Beck's extra point was wide, making it

Tulsa, whose seven-game improvement last year was the best
turnaround in Division I-A, stopped Kansas on fourth-and-goal a few
minutes later when Michael LeDet beat his block and brought down
Randle on the 2.

But Allen corralled Kilian on the next play.

"Their defense really came out to play tonight," said Tulsa
center Derek Warehime. "We really were not able to get anything
rolling on offense."

Kilian hit Jermaine Landrum with a short touchdown pass in the
first half that was wiped out by an ineligible receiver penalty.

Two plays later, Brad DeVault kicked a 20-yarder to put the
Golden Hurricane on top 3-0.

The dull first half ended with Kansas' Johnny Beck kicking a
51-yard field goal to forge a 3-3 tie. The second half began with
Beck booting a 20-yarder after the Jayhawks failed to make good on
a first-and-goal from the 6 on their first possession.

Greg Haeggans got loose for a 55-yard return of the second-half
kickoff. On third-and-4 from the 17, Barmann found Mark Simmons for
11 yards, and then an additional 5 yards were tacked on for a
facemask infraction.

But on three stabs from the 6, the Jayhawks got only four yards
and called upon Beck, who missed a 48-yarder in the first quarter.