Oregon 16

(4-3, 3-1 Pac-12)

Stanford 13

(4-3, 2-2 Pac-12)

5:00 PM ET, October 23, 2004

Stanford Stadium, Stanford, CA

1 2 3 4 T
ORE 3 3 3 716
STAN 0 3 3 713

Top Performers

Passing: K. Clemens (ORE) - 275 YDS, 1 INT

Rushing: T. Whitehead (ORE) - 28 CAR, 131 YDS, 1 TD

Receiving: A. Smith (STAN) - 9 REC, 110 YDS

Oregon 16, Stanford 13

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- Just when Stanford started to catch on, Oregon's swarming defense came charging at the Cardinal from a different direction.

The Ducks pounded all day on both sides of the ball.

Terrence Whitehead ran for 131 yards and the go-ahead touchdown, and Oregon's defense got 10 sacks in a 16-13 win over Stanford on Saturday.

"We put more pressure on the quarterback than we have the past few games," said linebacker Anthony Trucks, who had a sack and three solo tackles. "It was fun to get those sacks."

Mike Bellotti earned his 100th career victory in 15 years as a head coach at Oregon and Chico State, but it certainly meant less to him than the boost to his team's bowl chances that came with this win.

Stanford had a chance to force overtime after getting the ball back with 16 seconds left and completing two long passes, but Michael Sgroi's 49-yard field-goal attempt fell short as the clock expired.

"When the ball was midway there, my heart stopped. When it came down, it was elation," Trucks said. He is one of more than a dozen Oregon players from the Bay Area and had 75 supporters in the stands.

Jared Siegel kicked three field goals for the Ducks (4-3, 3-1 Pac-10), including a 51-yarder, to become Oregon's career leader in field goals with 46, surpassing Gregg McCallum's 45 from 1988-91.

Oregon's Kellen Clemens was 22-for-33 for 275 yards, completing a 36-yard pass to Keith Allen on fourth-and-3 to set up Whitehead's 2-yard scoring run with 10:39 left.

Clemens took a hard hit in the first half and asked third-string quarterback Brady Leaf to monitor him just in case. His second-quarter interception snapped a string of 178 pass attempts without a pick.

"We just got it done," Clemens said. "We battled the elements and we battled ourselves. We just did enough to win."

Whitehead nearly cost Oregon the game with a fumble on the Ducks' next series, but the defense came up huge once again. After Haloti Ngata's 15-yard face-mask penalty gave Stanford first down at the 28, Oregon sacked T.C. Ostrander on consecutive plays to get the ball back.

Whitehead's big day didn't stop with his third 100-yard game of the season. He also had a 51-yard reception among his eight catches for 92 yards.

"We have that competitive spirit," Bellotti said after Oregon came from behind to win for the second time in three weeks. "I'm pleased. We responded and only gave them two drives, which is awesome."

The Ducks' first trip to Stanford Stadium in seven years was quite a contrast from the last time the teams met in the Bay Area.

Oregon and Stanford combined for 107 points and 1,108 yards of total offense in the Cardinal's 58-49 victory on Sept. 27, 1997, Stanford's highest-scoring game in school history.

Both defenses performed well Saturday in the Cardinal's homecoming game, which drew only 33,250 on a rare rainy afternoon. Oregon's 10 sacks were its most since getting eight in 2000 against Arizona.

"We went up against a good defensive outfit with big, physical kids," Stanford coach Buddy Teevens said.

Ostrander, playing in place of injured starter Trent Edwards, threw his first career touchdown pass for the Cardinal (4-3, 2-2), hitting Patrick Danahy for a 2-yard score with 13:40 left. Ostrander was 18-for-29 for 236 yards.

Alex Smith had career highs with nine catches for 110 yards for the Cardinal, who lost Edwards to a bruised left shoulder and hand in the second quarter.

Oregon has won the last three meetings and four of the last five with Stanford, routing the Cardinal 35-0 last year and sending them to their fourth straight defeat.

Stanford's overmatched offensive line struggled to protect Edwards, who was sacked three times in the first half, including on back-to-back plays in the Cardinal's second offensive series. The Ducks pounded an offensive line that was missing starting center Brian Head because of a knee injury. Freshman Mikal Brewer replaced Head, giving the Cardinal a freshman and four sophomores on the line.

"We weren't picking up the blitz and I wasn't getting rid of the ball in time," said Edwards, who expects to play next week at UCLA.

Edwards left the game 12 seconds into the second quarter following a hard hit by defensive tackle Robby Valenzuela and didn't return. Ryan Eklund briefly replaced him, then Ostrander took over.

Sgroi also missed a 38-yard field goal wide right with 11:01 left in the second quarter to end his streak of 10 straight field goals after missing his first three of the year. Sgroi booted a 28-yarder 2½ minutes earlier and hit a 43-yarder to tie it at 6 in the third quarter.

Stanford was held to five yards rushing, 61 passing and 66 total yards in the first half, all season lows. The Cardinal trailed at halftime for the first time all season.