Kansas State 21, Marshall 19

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) -- Allen Webb threw two touchdown passes
and Thomas Clayton scored twice for Kansas State, which preserved a
21-19 victory over Marshall on Saturday with an interception in the
closing seconds.

Marshall had the chance to win with a field goal from the Kansas
State 21 with nine seconds left but decided to try one more play.
But Jimmy Skinner, playing the second half in relief of injured
Bernie Morris, threw an interception to end the threat.

Kansas State (2-0) went scoreless in the second half but handed
Marshall (1-1) only its eighth loss since its stadium opened in

Clayton had his second-straight 100-yard game since replacing
career rushing leader Darren Sproles, finishing with 152 yards on
26 carries. Kansas State fell behind early but Webb quieted the
crowd, running for 58 yards and throwing for 126.

Unlike 2003, when Marshall beat then-No. 6 Kansas State in
Manhattan, Kan., the Thundering Herd couldn't overcome an
eight-point halftime deficit and make a hero of a backup

Ahmad Bradshaw ran for two scores, including a 1-yarder that
brought Marshall within 21-19 early in the fourth quarter.

Skinner later found Marcus Fitzerald on consecutive pass plays
for 46 yards that put the ball at the Kansas State 19. On third
down, Bradshaw went airborne after catching a screen pass, was met
by Marcus Watts and fumbled. Brandon Archer recovered for the
Wildcats at the 4 with 7:29 left.

Webb and Clayton drove Kansas State to the Marshall 5. But on
third down, Jermaine Moreira fumbled and Marshall recovered at its

Skinner hit Hiram Moore with a 20-yard pass on fourth down, then
found Wilbur Hargrove for 32 yards to the Kansas State 21. But
Skinner's next pass, intended for Moore, was picked off by Justin

Marshall passed out 20,000 thunder sticks and honored retired
coach Bob Pruett in a pregame ceremony, and the Thundering Herd
replied against its highest-profile home opponent since returning
to Division I-A eight years ago.

Marshall scored 10 points shortly after the fog had burned off
for the 10:30 a.m. kickoff, getting a field goal on the opening
drive and Bradshaw's 6-yard TD run after Yamon Figurs fumbled the
ensuing kickoff.

But Marshall's defense, which allowed 362 yards last week to
Division I-AA William & Mary, struggled early to stop Webb and
Clayton. Webb engineered two touchdown drives late in the first
quarter, then found Clayton with a 26-yard screen pass for a 21-10