7:30 PM ET, January 23, 2006
DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Pat Summitt was in unfamiliar territory. Rarely has she seen Tennessee so thoroughly outplayed, so thoroughly beaten.
Tennessee and Duke have faced off in three of the last four 1 vs. 2 games, splitting the two previous meetings. In Monday night's meeting, in Durham, the Blue Devils (19-0) clobbered the Lady Vols (18-1), 75-53.
• Duke is 1-2 in 1 vs. 2 games at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The Blue Devils' other win came on a neutral floor in Raleigh.
• Tennessee is 9-11 in previous 1 vs. 2 games. The Lady Vols have by far the most appearances in these major matchups.
• This was the 38th meeting between the top two teams in the poll. The first eight games were all won by the No. 1 team, but No. 2 now has won 18 of the last 29.
• Last season was the first since 1997-98 that did not have a game between No. 1 and No. 2.
• Duke might be playing in yet another No. 1 vs. 2 game on Sunday when it plays host to North Carolina (currently 18-0, No. 4 in the nation). In that likely scenario, Duke would still need to win at Clemson on Thursday, while the Tar Heels need to win Friday at Wake Forest.