9:26 PM ET, March 22, 2009
E.A. Diddle Arena, Bowling Green, KY
Ball State stuns Tennessee, hands Lady Vols first ever opening-round loss
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- Tennessee's title defense ended sooner than expected, wrapping up the worst season ever for Pat Summitt's vaunted program.Ball State stunned the two-time defending national champions 71-55 in the opening round of the NCAA tournament on Sunday night, snapping one of the more remarkable streaks in college basketball history.
Tennessee had a disappointing season, but the Lady Vols were still expected to win a few in the tourney, writes Mechelle Voepel. Story
• Tennessee's loss was the first time a defending champion has lost in the first round.
• Ball State had just one win this season vs. the tournament field, and that came against an Evansville team that made the tournament with a losing record.
• The Lady Vols lost to a team seeded lower than four for the first time in school history (51-1).
• Tennessee ended the season 22-11, trying the school record for losses in a season (16-11 in 1975-76, Pat Summitt's second season).
• The Lady Vols had never missed the Sweet 16 prior to this season, going 27-for-27.
-- ESPN research
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||24-54 (.444)||23-65 (.354)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-19 (.368)||2-17 (.118)|
|FT Made-Attempted||16-20 (.800)||7-11 (.636)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||12 (0/0)||17 (0/0)|