St. John's holds on to upset Georgetown in OT

NEW YORK -- St. John's coach Kim Barnes Arico has been looking for a win over a ranked team all season to boost the Red Storm's NCAA hopes.

She finally got one against Georgetown (No. 17 ESPN/USA Today, No. 16 AP).

Amanda Burakoski scored 15 points and St. John's held on to beat the Hoyas 75-71 in overtime on Sunday, snapping Georgetown's six-game winning streak.

"I think we talked about Rutgers being a signature win for us and this really helps our resume to get into the [NCAA] tournament tremendously," Barnes Arico said. "We can't look past any opponent especially when you have to go on the road."

The win was the first for the Red Storm in five chances against a Top 25 team.

With the game tied at 68 and 1:37 left in the extra period, Da'Shena Stevens hit one of two free throws for the St. John's. Shenneika Smith added a lay-in to make it 71-68 with 58 seconds left.

Rubylee Wright's 3-point attempt was blocked and Nadirah McKenith added two free throws to give St. John's (17-7, 6-5 Big East) a five-point lead with 29 seconds left.

Sugar Rodgers was fouled shooting a 3-pointer on the other end and she hit all three free throws to get Georgetown (20-6, 8-4) within 73-71 with 20 seconds left. McKenith was fouled and hit one of two free throws 3 seconds later.

Monica McNutt missed a 3-pointer from the top of the key with 4 seconds left ending Georgetown's hope of a comeback.

"It's important to build our confidence," said Stevens, who had 12 points and 10 rebounds. "This got us back on the winning side. We wanted to come out with a lot of energy tonight because Georgetown is a great team."

McKenith had 13 points, nine assists and eight rebounds.

Rodgers finished with 23 points and Tia Magee added 16 for the Hoyas.

Trailing 59-54 with 3:06 left in the second half, Georgetown scored the next seven points to take its first lead on Magee's free throw with 1:37 left. Rodgers' 3-pointer had tied the game at 59 with 2:12 left.

After Magee hit one of two free throws, Rodgers added a layup to make it 62-59 Georgetown. Burakoski tied it at 62 with 39.8 seconds left when she hit her fifth 3-pointer of the game.

Magee missed a turnaround jumper on the next possession for Georgetown giving the ball to St. John's with 22.8 seconds left. McKenith worked the clock down before driving down the lane. Her layup rolled off the rim and Stevens' follow also harmlessly fell off the basket sending the game to overtime.

With the game tied at 50 and 6:25 left, St. John's scored the next seven points. Burakoski started the burst with a 3-pointer and Stevens and Eugeneia McPherson followed with consecutive fast-break layups to make it 57-50.

Georgetown had four straight turnovers, not getting a shot off during the Red Storm's run.

"We made mistakes tonight and we missed layups," Georgetown coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. "We didn't make the offensive plays. We were a step slow and our transition defense wasn't very good."

Adria Crawford finally ended the drought with a putback with 3:53 left that made it 57-52.

The Red Storm were wearing pink uniforms, socks and shoes in honor of the team's annual Pink Zone game -- which raises awareness for breast cancer. The Hoyas had the same snazzy pink shoes and socks on.