NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera says he feels ready to take the mound again after throwing 10 to 15 pitches in the Yankees' bullpen.
Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
The New York closer says he threw at his normal pace for a bullpen session and would be ready to pitch if called upon.
"You're never going to feel a hundred percent," Rivera said. "So far, it feels good."
Before Rivera threw Tuesday, New York manager Joe Girardi said he would consider giving the 40-year-old Rivera some extra rest if possible, no matter what.
After finishing their three-game series against Baltimore on Wednesday, the Yankees are off Thursday before playing on 17 straight days, beginning with a three-game series in Boston.
With that stretch in mind, Girardi put 35-year-old shortstop Derek Jeter in the lineup as the designated hitter Tuesday night.
"In the midst of these long runs, you've got to find time for these guys. I tried to put it in a gentle, nicer way last night, but, there's a little age on them," Girardi said.
Almost certain not to play Tuesday night against Baltimore was catcher Jorge Posada, who is three years older than Jeter. He left Monday night's game with a strained right calf.
Posada said he might be able to hit or catch, but that "running's going to be tough for now." Girardi said he only envisioned using Posada in an emergency.
"We'll probably have a look on Friday," he said.
The move left the Yankees with Francisco Cervelli as their only healthy catcher.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
- All About The Benjamins?
- If Carmelo Anthony stays in New York, he should admit that it's about the money.
- Tanaka Taken Deep
- Masahiro Tanaka, making his first spring start, allowed his first home run.
- Getting It Wright
- David Wright says he feels more prepared now than he has in recent spring trainings.
- Blue Streak
- The newest Ranger hasn't had much time to reflect on the past 24 hours.
- 'We Deserve Better'
- A group of fed up Knicks fans plan to protest before a game on March 19.
- The Highland Mint New York Yankees Mariano Rivera Coin Photo Mint
MORE MLB HEADLINES