Vazquez to relieve vs. Red Sox
NEW YORK -- With his bullpen thin, New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi is making Javier Vazquez a reliever for at least the Boston Red Sox series. The move puts Vazquez's scheduled start against the New York Mets on Friday in question.
"We want him to start on Friday, but sometimes you have unseen circumstances," Girardi said.
Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
Despite the fact the Yankees are trying to protect Vazquez, this creates the possibility of repeating the scenario that began Yankees fans' ire toward Vazquez. In 2004, he entered in relief and gave up a grand slam to Johnny Damon that helped the Sox beat the Yankees in Game 7 of the ALCS.
On Sunday, Vazquez would have started if rain had not altered the Yankees rotation in Detroit. Instead Sergio Mitre, normally the long reliever, began Sunday's game and Vazquez moved to the bullpen.
"Everything got screwed up," Girardi said.
Now, Vazquez is being moved again. Vazquez, who wasn't available after Girardi made the news official, was already dealing with being skipped for his regular starting turn.
"I'm usually the guy they bump somebody else to get me in there," Vazquez said. "So I know how it works."
Now, he is heading to the bullpen and there is a question of when he will start again.
ESPNNewYork.com first reported that Vazquez could be headed to the bullpen on Sunday morning.
- King Among Kings
- Marcus Thornton had himself a night versus his ex-team, helping dethrone the Kings.
- Long Live The King
- The Rangers demolished the Red Wings, improving their playoff position.
- Gotta Go, Cro
- Antonio Cromartie's stint with the Jets has ended after one of his worst seasons.
- Spring Fever
- We take the Yanks' temperature after what has been a healthy camp.
- Quick Study?
- Would it be smart for the Knicks to ask Phil Jackson to coach, too?
- Tervis New York Yankees 16 oz Wrap Tumbler
MORE MLB HEADLINES