Santana addresses battery investigation

Updated: June 23, 2010, 5:03 PM ET
By Andrew Marchand | ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana responded Wednesday to a report that he was accused of sexual battery in Fort Myers, Fla., this past October.

Police said the case was closed because of a lack of evidence.

Santana read a statement addressing the situation before Wednesday's game at Citi Field, but declined to answer any questions.

"I will make a statement and hopefully, I will make myself clear," Santana said. "I'm aware of this situation. What I can tell you is that police had investigated these claims last year and I was never charged with anything and the case is closed. Unfortunately, at this time, that is all I can say. I have no further comments."

TMZ.com posted a police report filed with the Lee County Sheriff's Office on Oct. 28, the day after the incident on a Florida golf course.

"There was not enough evidence to prove lack of consent, the alleged victim's statement is not consistent with other witnesses," the Sheriff's Office said, according to TMZ.com.

The Mets released a statement that read: "We're aware of the situation. It's a personal matter."

Andrew Marchand covers baseball for ESPNNewYork.com. You can follow him on Twitter.

More from ESPNNewYork.com »

Andrew Marchand is a senior writer for ESPNNewYork. He also regularly contributes to SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight, ESPNews, ESPN New York 98.7 FM and ESPN Radio. He joined ESPN in 2007 after nine years at the New York Post. Follow Andrew on Twitter »

SPONSORED HEADLINES

EDITORS' PICKS

MORE MLB HEADLINES