Source: Yanks on Soria's no-trade list
The Yankees are one of the six teams on Soria's no-trade list, a baseball official with knowledge of the contract tells ESPN New York.
More On The Yankees
Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
Rumors have been circulating that the Yankees want to make Soria their new eighth-inning man to replace Joba Chamberlain.
The no-trade clause is one hurdle, but the biggest mountain that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman must move is the Royals' reluctance to trade Soria. Kansas City has told teams it will listen on Soria, but it will take a boatload of talent to acquire the right-hander.
The fact the Yankees are on Soria's no-trade list should not be read to mean he would decline a trade to New York. It likely gives Soria some leverage if a deal were struck. Soria's current contract is for three years, $8.75 million, with three club options that top out at $8.75 million for 2014.
Soria, 26, could be an upgrade over Chamberlain in the set-up role. He also could be a candidate to replace closer Mariano Rivera if he decides to retire in the next few years.
Andrew Marchand covers baseball for ESPNNewYork.com.
- Inside Job
- If Phil Jackson fulfills the Knicks' needs, he must do so from Manhattan.
- King Among Kings
- Marcus Thornton had himself a night versus his ex-team, helping dethrone the Kings.
- Long Live The King
- The Rangers demolished the Red Wings, improving their playoff position.
- Gotta Go, Cro
- Antonio Cromartie's stint with the Jets has ended after one of his worst seasons.
- Spring Fever
- We take the Yanks' temperature after what has been a healthy camp.
- Majestic Men's Authentic New York Yankees Masahiro Tanaka #19 Cool Base Road Grey On-Field Jersey
MORE MLB HEADLINES