Alex Rodriguez splits with Scott Boras
"Scott and I had a good run," Rodriguez said before Friday's Yankees-Blue Jays game at Yankee Stadium. "Nothing drastic happened, but at this point in my career, my goal is to finish as a New York Yankee and be a world champion again. And some of the things I needed 20 years ago I really don't need now."
More From ESPNNewYork.com
Alex Rodriguez plays in New York, but cutting loose agent Scott Boras means he's going Hollywood, writes Wallace Matthews. Story
According to a recent Sports Illustrated report, Rodriguez fired Boras in a letter more than a month ago.
Boras negotiated Rodriguez's $252 million, 10-year contract with the Texas Rangers in 2001. Rodriguez was traded to the Yankees after the 2003 season and, after opting out of the contract with three years to go on the deal, he received a record $275 million, 10-year contract from New York.
The opt-out, though, was messy. Boras informed Yankees general manager Brian Cashman of the decision during Game 4 of the 2007 World Series between Boston and Colorado, drawing disapproval for the timing.
Later, Rodriguez criticized Boras for his handling of the situation, and upon re-signing with the Yankees, Rodriguez said he negotiated the contract without Boras' help.
- No Laughing Matter
- The Knicks need Phil Jackson, and James Dolan needs to hand him the keys.
- Take Two
- The Knicks notched their second win in a row Friday, dominating the Jazz.
- Beantown Beatdown
- The Nets' four game winning streak was snapped in Boston.
- Game Changer
- Michael Pineda was very impressive in his first exhibition outing Friday.
- 'I Ran Into A Truck'
- Wright went 0-for-3 in his debut, while Murphy narrowly avoided injury.
- Majestic Youth Replica New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez #13 Home White Jersey
MORE MLB HEADLINES