Jorge Posada not in Yanks lineup
ARLINGTON, Texas -- After Jorge Posada felt concussion-like symptoms Tuesday, doctors cleared him Wednesday to play again beginning on Friday, but New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi withheld the catcher from the lineup Friday against the Texas Rangers.
More On The Yankees
Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
Posada is available to pinch-hit, according to Girardi "I wanted to play today," Posada said. "I could have played today." Posada said trainer Gene Monahan diagnosed his condition as a "mild, slight concussion," but Posada feels he has been symptom-free since Tuesday. Posada added that he has had previous concussions. Girardi said that he didn't want to take the chance of Girardi taking a foul tip off the mask again. "If he gets hit again, we could lose him for an extended period of time," Girardi said. The manager said that Posada could pinch-hit because being hit in the head while batting is much less likely.
With A.J. Burnett starting Saturday, it is unlikely Posada will catch until Sunday at the earliest.
Posada suffered the initial injury when he was hit on a backswing during Tuesday's game. He then experienced concussion-like symptoms that night, which inspired the Yankees to send him for neurological tests Wednesday. They came back negative, which allowed Posada to make the trip south.
Andrew Marchand covers baseball for ESPNNewYork.com.
- Leaning In
- Phil Jackson is leaning toward taking a front-office job with the Knicks.
- Rock And Roll
- The Knicks got the win over the lowly Cavaliers in Cleveland.
- Manny Happy Returns
- After nearly two years, Manny Banuelos took the mound for the Yankees.
- Thor Is Mortal
- Noah Syndergaard wasn't as sharp in his second outing of the spring.
- Still A Chance To Dance
- The Johnnies beat Marquette in double OT, keeping their NCAA tourney hopes alive.
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees Enos Slaughter #17 Grey Cooperstown Jersey
MORE MLB HEADLINES