Yanks move Robinson Cano to two-hole
It is the first time all season that Cano has batted second.
Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
"It is the same thing," Cano said. "Anywhere in the lineup is the same. For me, I don't care."
Said Girardi: "We just thought it was our best bet."
The Yankees had lost six of seven as they headed into their game with the Rays. Swisher, who has been limited since Aug. 24 with a bruised knee, has not started two straight games. He will be going for a second MRI on Tuesday.
Swisher entered the game in the eighth inning as a pinch hitter and grounded out to third. He seemed to be limping as he ran down the line toward first base.
It is also the second straight game that Gardner has not started because of his sore wrist.
Gardner had an MRI on Monday that revealed inflammation in his right wrist. He had a cortisone shot and expects to be back in the next few days. For now, though, he is sitting out.
"There is no point in me trying to play if I'm whatever percent," Gardner said.
"He's basically day to day," Girardi said."He could play defense and run for me today."
Gardner did in fact enter the game in the 10th inning as a pinch runner. He stole second base, his 41st of the year, but was then thrown out trying to steal thrid when Rays reliever Joaquin Benoitcaught him leaning in his leadoff from second.
- Leaning In
- Phil Jackson is leaning toward taking a front-office job with the Knicks.
- Rock And Roll
- The Knicks got the win over the lowly Cavaliers in Cleveland.
- Manny Happy Returns
- After nearly two years, Manny Banuelos took the mound for the Yankees.
- Thor Is Mortal
- Noah Syndergaard wasn't as sharp in his second outing of the spring.
- Still A Chance To Dance
- The Johnnies beat Marquette in double OT, keeping their NCAA tourney hopes alive.
- Majestic Men's Authentic New York Yankees Brett Gardner #11 Road Grey On-Field Jersey
MORE MLB HEADLINES