Sources: Alex Rodriguez target of man
The man who ran onto the Yankee Stadium field Monday during Game 3 of the American League Championship Series between the Yankees and Rangers intended to confront Alex Rodriguez, according to multiple sources.
The man told police he wanted to harm Rodriguez because of the New York third baseman's reported relationship with actress Cameron Diaz, according to multiple sources within the police department.
The man didn't have a weapon but was carrying photos of Rodriguez and the actress when he was apprehended, a source said.
A spokesman for the New York Police department identified the man as 33-year-old Grim LeRogue of the Bronx. He was charged with assault and interfering with a sporting event and was undergoing psychiatric evaluation as of Tuesday afternoon.
LeRogue was tackled by stadium security shortly after he jumped out of the stands in the top of the fifth inning. He was handcuffed and escorted off the field before he could get near the players.
ESPNNewYork.com's Adam Rubin contributed to this report.
ALCS: YANKEES VS. RANGERS
Rangers win 4-2 »
- Leaning In
- Phil Jackson is leaning toward taking a front-office job with the Knicks.
- Rock And Roll
- The Knicks got the win over the lowly Cavaliers in Cleveland.
- Manny Happy Returns
- After nearly two years, Manny Banuelos took the mound for the Yankees.
- Thor Is Mortal
- Noah Syndergaard wasn't as sharp in his second outing of the spring.
- Still A Chance To Dance
- The Johnnies beat Marquette in double OT, keeping their NCAA tourney hopes alive.