Red Sox make Russell Martin offer

Updated: December 9, 2010, 3:45 PM ET
By Gordon Edes | ESPNBoston.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox have made an offer to free-agent catcher Russell Martin, according to Martin's agent, Matt Colleran, who said Thursday he is in "serious" discussions with the New York Yankees, Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays.

Colleran said he expects to continue discussions Thursday and into Friday.

The Red Sox have publicly insisted that they are comfortable going into next season with Jason Varitek and Jarrod Saltalamacchia as their catching tandem, but signing Martin, a two-time All-Star and Gold Glove winner coming off two subpar seasons offensively, would suggest that the Red Sox aren't quite as confident about their catching tandem as would appear.

The former Los Angeles Dodgers catcher was nontendered last week by L.A. after the Dodgers refused to meet his demand for a guaranteed $5 million deal. Since then, the Red Sox have been in talks with Colleran.

Martin, who tore the labrum in his hip early in August and missed the rest of the season, hit .248 in 97 games last season but had an on-base percentage of .347.

Gordon Edes covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.com.

Gordon Edes

Red Sox reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

EDITORS' PICKS

  • It's Not Fair!
    Mike Woodson says it's unfair to fire him after the season the Knicks had.
  • Phil's First Move
    The Knicks announced the signing of Lamar Odom for the rest of the season.
  • Lights, Cameras, Playoffs
    The Nets get the first-round matchup they'd been hoping for: the Toronto Raptors.
  • Smokin' Aces
    The Yankees pulled out Michael Pineda and Masahiro Tanaka to blank the Cubs.
  • Going Green
    The Jets signed ex-Titan Chris Johnson to a two-year deal worth up to $9 million.

ALSO SEE

MORE MLB HEADLINES