David Wright cleared to resume activity

Updated: June 24, 2011, 9:37 AM ET
By Ian Begley | Special to ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- Mets third baseman David Wright received permission to resume baseball activities on Thursday, general manager Sandy Alderson said. The Mets hope to have their third baseman back in three to four weeks. He has been out since May 18 with a stress fracture in his lower back.

"He was given the green light today to commence fuller baseball activity," said Alderson, who anticipates Wright will be able to return in "maybe three weeks."

Wright, who underwent a CT scan Thursday before getting cleared, will travel to the team complex in Port St. Lucie, Fla., to begin "full exercise activity." Wright had been limited to light tossing and taking ground balls on his knees thus far while working to strengthen the muscles around the injury.

Wright needs to "get looser and sort of reintroduce those muscles" before beginning to swing and take ground balls, Alderson said.

Once Wright proves he can perform a full complement of baseball activities pain-free, he will begin playing rehab games with one of the Mets' minor league affiliates.

Alderson called the complete rehabilitation a "several-week process."

Wright was first hurt on April 19 when he tried to make a diving tag on Houston's Carlos Lee at third base at Citi Field.

The Mets initially hoped Wright would be out just three weeks with the ailment. But that plan changed when a doctor ordered three weeks of additional rest to heal the stress fracture.

Wright said at the time that perhaps the reason why three weeks became six weeks of inactivity is because doctors hoped the bone would have started healing from the time of the original April 19 injury, not from when he was placed on the DL May 18. The six-week time frame may have been a result of Wright's continuing to play with the injury after it first occurred.

Justin Turner (.268, 2 HR, 32 RBI) has primarily replaced Wright at third base. Wright has been on the DL just one other time in his career, after getting beaned by San Francisco's Matt Cain in 2009.

He's hitting just .226 with six homers and 18 RBIs, but he didn't blame the injury on his recent struggles.

The positive news on Wright came a day after the team announced that first baseman Ike Davis might be lost for the season due to an ankle injury and bone bruise that hasn't shown any signs of healing.

"With all the blows we've taken in the last six weeks, this is finally a positive," Mets manager Terry Collins said after his team's 4-1 win over the A's on Thursday. "When you saw David today, he was fired up to get back on the field, so this is really, really good news for us."

Ian Begley is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.

EDITORS' PICKS

ALSO SEE