Nick Swisher out with quad injury
Swisher, who was supposed to miss Friday night's game before it was rained out, suffered the injury as he tried to dig a ball out of the right-field corner during the first inning of Thursday night's game against Tampa Bay. Swisher was seen limping in the Yankees' clubhouse on Friday afternoon prior to the cancellation.
More On The Yankees
Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
"I feel fine," Swisher said. "It's just a little tight. Especially with the All-Star break coming up, there's no need to push it right now."
Trainer Gene Monahan told Girardi on Friday that Swisher would be out "a day or two."
Girardi said Friday that the Yankees don't plan to have Swisher undergo an MRI.
"It's bothering him a little bit," Girardi said. "I didn't see the replay but I guess he tweaked it on a ball in the right-field corner as he tried to stick his leg out to stop it."
The 30-year-old Swisher is batting .249 with 10 homers and 49 RBIs in 82 games this season.
"You name (a treatment), I've had it," he said. "I just wanna get in that lineup, and if not tomorrow, then after the All-Star break."
Andruw Jones started in Swisher's place on Saturday afternoon.
Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.
- Inside Job
- If Phil Jackson fulfills the Knicks' needs, he must do so from Manhattan.
- King Among Kings
- Marcus Thornton had himself a night versus his ex-team, helping dethrone the Kings.
- Long Live The King
- The Rangers demolished the Red Wings, improving their playoff position.
- Gotta Go, Cro
- Antonio Cromartie's stint with the Jets has ended after one of his worst seasons.
- Spring Fever
- We take the Yanks' temperature after what has been a healthy camp.
- Majestic Youth New York Yankees Authentic Collection Quarter-Zip Navy Fleece Hoodie
MORE MLB HEADLINES