<
>

Golden Boy hit with 90-day state ban

7/12/2010 - Boxing

The New York State Athletic Commission suspended the promotional license of Golden Boy for 90 days because Oscar De La Hoya's company did not turn over paperwork it was required to following its May 15 boxing card at the Madison Square Garden Theater.

The commission's legal department notified Los Angeles-based Golden Boy of the suspension via e-mail Friday, according to Ralph Petrillo, the NYSAC director of boxing.

"The reason that it was issued was the lack of disclosure of information on their previous show at Madison Square Garden related to their promotional agreements," Petrillo said.

In addition to agreements for the specific bouts on a card, New York also requires promoters to file copies of their general promotional agreements with fighters who appear on cards in the state.

Typically, this takes place after an event, especially with an out-of-state promoter such as Golden Boy. But nearly two months after the show, New York had still not received the paperwork it had asked for, Petrillo said.

"They are obliged to supply to the commission any promotional agreements for any boxers they have on that show. They didn't do that," Petrillo said.

New York attorney Judd Burstein, who is representing Golden Boy, told ESPN.com the paperwork was turned over to the commission Monday. He was contrite about the situation.

"The commission is not wrong. Their unhappiness was well justified," Burstein said. "There were innocent errors of omission by Golden Boy. I became involved on Friday. Since then every single document the commission requested has been provided. We're in talks with the commission to resolve this matter. There's nothing to hide."

The suspension could be shortened at a hearing on the matter, Petrillo said.

"This is not a situation where I will say the commission is acting irrationally by being upset," Burstein said. "There was no willful intent or false statement made. The guy [David Itskowitch] who usually handles it went on his honeymoon and the guy [Armando Gaytan] who [handled it] didn't know what the hell he was talking about. It's a completely honest mistake."

Junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan of England scored an 11th-round TKO of New Yorker Paulie Malignaggi in the main event with junior welterweight Victor Ortiz outpointing Nate Campbell in the co-featured fight on the HBO telecast.

Lou DiBella, who promotes Malignaggi and had other fighters on the undercard, filed his paperwork in a timely manner, Petrillo said. Golden Boy did not.

"We were in constant weekly e-mail contact with them after the fight asking them for it," Petrillo said. "We went back and forth. They were going to check with their legal department was what we were told in the last [e-mail] about three weeks ago. They originally signed our disclosure form saying they would release [the contracts]. They said they hadn't disclosed their contracts to other states."

Petrillo said promoters typically take about a week to send the commission the paperwork they are supposed to.

It is possible that with an administrative suspension on its record in New York, other state commissions could honor it and not permit Golden Boy to promote until the issue is cleared up, although that is unlikely.

Golden Boy has shows this month scheduled in Puerto Rico, California and Nevada.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.