Sal Alosi resigns from Jets job

Updated: February 1, 2011, 8:58 AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

DALLAS -- Seven weeks after the trip, Sal Alosi finally took the fall.

The New York Jets' embattled strength and conditioning coach, suspended indefinitely after tripping a Miami Dolphins player in a Dec. 12 game, resigned from his position, the Jets announced Monday night.

The parting came as no surprise. At the time of the incident, which embarrassed the organization and ultimately resulted in a $100,000 fine from the NFL, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum indicated that Alosi could be fired.

Alosi released a statement through the team, saying in part, "After the events that have transpired, I feel it's best for my family and me to look for a fresh start."

He didn't return a call seeking comment.

Tannenbaum, in a statement, said it was Alosi's decision. A team spokesman declined to say whether Alosi received a financial settlement or whether the two sides have a confidentiality agreement.

"After speaking with Sal, he decided that it is best for him to tender his resignation at this time," Tannenbaum said. "We appreciate all of Sal's contributions during his tenure with the team. He played an invaluable role in our success and established what we feel is one of the better strength and conditioning programs in the NFL."

Alosi tripped Nolan Carroll, a gunner on the Dolphins' punt-coverage team. The following day, Alosi offered a public apology and was suspended for the remainder of the season without pay and fined $25,000. It was going to cost him a total of about $50,000.

But the controversy didn't die, as replays showed that Alosi was part of a human wall on the Jets' sideline -- a blatant attempt by him and five inactive players to deter the gunner from running near the sideline.

Amid mounting speculation that the Jets had orchestrated the wall, the team re-opened its internal investigation and suspended Alosi indefinitely after learning "new information," as Tannenbaum called it.

The Jets said Alosi finally admitted to them that he organized the wall, but they insisted he acted unilaterally. One of the inactive players, tight end Jeff Cumberland, told reporters he was ordered by Alosi to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with others. At the time, league sources told ESPNNewYork.com that the Jets had been doing it for several weeks.

Both coach Rex Ryan and special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff have maintained they had no previous knowledge of Alosi's wall.

Amid the controversy, Westhoff told a Chicago radio station that the New England Patriots employed the same practice, putting the Jets in more hot water. After a league investigation, the team was slapped with a $100,000 fine, but they let Alosi hang in limbo. The Jets are appealing the fine.

Team officials had said they wanted to wait until after the season ended to resolve the matter, but they also took their time to study all the possible legal options and ramifications, according to a person familiar with Tannenbaum's thinking.

Alosi was named the head strength and conditioning coach in 2007, earning about $200,000 a year. He played college football at Hofstra from 1996 to 2000.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter.

Rich Cimini

ESPN New York Jets reporter

SPONSORED HEADLINES

EDITORS' PICKS

MORE NFL HEADLINES