Jets are looking for a pass-rusher
Jerry Hughes of TCU should be available at No. 29, and has a lot to get excited about
Leading up to the NFL draft on Thursday, ESPNNewYork.com is taking a look at the Jets' needs and the players they might draft to address those needs. Up first, the Jets' most pressing need is a pass-rusher. We've looked at Jared Odrick and Everson Griffen -- next up is Jerry Hughes as the possible 29th pick of the draft.[+] EnlargeJamie Squire/Getty ImagesJerry Hughes of TCU is a player on the Jets' radar.
STRENGTHS: With 58 tackles and 11 sacks for TCU last year, Hughes could be the pass-rusher the Jets are looking for. Unlike Odrick, he isn't projected to go so high that he would be out of the Jets' reach at No. 29. Hughes ran a 4.69 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. He is a versatile and quick defensive player, and would fit well into a system like Rex Ryan's which might ask someone to play up or down. He has exceptional tackling skills coupled with good closing speed.
WEAKNESSES: Hughes is smaller than most at his position, which is why he isn't projected to go a lot higher in the first round. He might not be as strong against the run as he is against the pass.
MEL KIPER'S TAKE: "Hughes doesn't have great size, but he has the skills to be either a 3-4 OLB -- and thus could have his name called by New England, Arizona or a couple of others -- or he could be a fantastic pass-rusher in the mold of a Dwight Freeney."
NEW YORK JETS: 2010 NFL DRAFT
JETS: 29th PICK, FIRST ROUND
MEL KIPER JR.
- All About The Benjamins?
- If Carmelo Anthony stays in New York, he should admit that it's about the money.
- Tanaka Taken Deep
- Masahiro Tanaka, making his first spring start, allowed his first home run.
- Getting It Wright
- David Wright says he feels more prepared now than he has in recent spring trainings.
- Blue Streak
- The newest Ranger hasn't had much time to reflect on the past 24 hours.
- 'We Deserve Better'
- A group of fed up Knicks fans plan to protest before a game on March 19.
- Rico New York Jets #1 Fan Decorative Metal License Plate
MORE NFL HEADLINES