Jason Taylor wants to play for Jets

Updated: March 3, 2011, 8:36 AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Jason Taylor used to despise the New York Jets and their fans. Now he doesn't want to say goodbye.

The former star pass rusher, released Tuesday after one season with the Jets, told reporters at a golf event Wednesday in South Florida that he wants to play at least one more season -- but only for the Jets. Taylor, 36, shared that sentiment in a conversation Tuesday with coach Rex Ryan.

"I want to play in New York, oh, for sure," Taylor said in an interview aired on 760 ESPN Radio. "I told Rex this yesterday: If I'm going to play, I want to play with the Jets."

Taylor had one year remaining on his contract, but he was due to make $2.25 million and was cut loose in a move that surprised no one, not even Taylor.

The NFL's active career sack leader didn't put up eye-popping numbers last season, producing only five sacks as a pass-rushing specialist. When the season ended with the loss to the Steelers in the AFC championship, Taylor was emotional, sounding as if he had played his last game.

Some in the Jets' organization suspect he will retire and pursue a career in show business, but Taylor said "he's looking to play another year or two maybe."

The chances of returning to the Jets appear slim. They're trying to get younger in the front seven, targeting defensive end and outside linebacker in the draft. Nevertheless, Taylor is hoping for another shot.

"I had a fantastic time up there," said Taylor, a longtime nemesis of the Jets during his heyday with the Dolphins. "[It's] a great team, a good, young team with a good, young quarterback continuing to grow up and becoming more and more of a pro quarterback. That's great to see.

"I had a great time, but came up a little short. It's not easy to repeat three years in a row in the AFC championship, but if they'll have me, I'd enjoy doing it again."

Taylor dismissed any notion of a return to the Dolphins, who made no effort to re-sign him last year when he was a free agent.

"I don't think there's a chance in the world that they're going to call," he said. "We didn't communicate very well when I played there. That ship may have sailed, and that's OK."

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Rich Cimini

ESPN New York Jets reporter

EDITORS' PICKS