Nineteen defenders selected in opening round
Perhaps more than any prospect selected in the first round of the NFL draft, Kamerion Wimbley reflects the notable trends that developed as the opening stanza played out over five-plus hours on Saturday afternoon.
Consider this: The top choice of the Cleveland Browns with the 13th slot in the round, Wimbley plays on the defensive side of the football. He is a versatile defender, a hybrid "edge" player who can align at end or linebacker in a 3-4 front. He is a so-called "back seven" ...
Read full story
2006 draft coverage
From inside analysis from Scouts Inc. to reports from Len Pasquarelli, John Clayton and Michael Smith, ESPN.com had the draft covered.
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Pasquarelli: D dominates
• Smith: Thoughts on Round 1
• Inside analysis: 1st | 2nd | 3rd
• Pasquarelli: Character matters
• Green: Money sways Texans
• Clayton: OTs popular on Day 1
• Wojciechowski: Texans did what?
• Scouts: Draft Q&A
• SportsNation: Vote | Grades
• Photo gallery: First-round picks
• Complete 2006 draft coverage
• Pasquarelli: 2006 draft wrap
• Smith: Vick says he's matured
• Inside analysis: 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th
• Clayton: Skier Bloom drafted
• McShay: Players who slipped
• Clayton: Vets sent packing