Atlanta was hot on Parcells' trail in '87
Bill Parcells, whom the Falcons may be close to landing, was pursued by the team 20 years ago, too, Len Pasquarelli writes.
ATLANTA -- Twenty years ago, under different ownership but similarly dire circumstances for the franchise, the Falcons pursued Bill Parcells but failed to reel in The Tuna when then-NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle ordered both sides to cease negotiations.
Since that original flirtation in 1987, there have been other times during the Falcons' mostly miserable history that Parcells' name was floated as a possible remedy to the team's problems. But never had the overtures been as strong ...
Read full story
PARCELLS HEADS TO MIAMI
Bill Parcells is back in the NFL, this time as the executive vice president of football operations for the Miami Dolphins. But what a long, strange trip to get there as two franchises competed for his services.
Joining the Dolphins• Parcells attends practice with Dolphins
• Parcells heads to Miami with four-year deal
• Clayton: His five biggest challenges
• Pasquarelli: Two teams vie, Dolphins get the win
• Vote: Is it a good match?
• Parcells intends to draft players with 'passion'
Spurning the Falcons• Parcells turns down Falcons
• Parcells: 'I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it'
• Pasquarelli: Falcons, Parcells danced in '87, too
• Vote: Would Parcells have been a good fit?
Video• Parcells takes the job
• Why choose Miami over Atlanta