Schemes, team needs play large role in wide receiver decisions
What's the best way to evaluate a wide receiver? Floyd Reese looks at five questions teams must ask themselves before they sign or draft a receiver.
Scouting and, more importantly, drafting or signing a wide receiver are among the biggest NFL crapshoots. A quality group of receivers will improve a team's running game, its quarterback's effectiveness and ultimately the win-loss record.
The hard part for NFL teams is figuring out exactly which players are right for their systems. The evaluation process involves much more than height, weight, speed, hands, character and production.
Here are five questions teams must ...
Read full story
BEST WIDE RECEIVERS
In Part 1 of a two-part report, Scouts Inc. ranks today's wide receivers from 1 (Randy Moss) to 64 (James Jones). In Part 2, ESPN.com ranks the top 10 wide receivers of all time. In the first presentation of this occasional series, ESPN.com ranked the all-time best QBs in February. | Discuss
HOT READ PART 1: Today's best WRs• Scouts Inc.: Ranking top receivers 1-64
• Debate: Randy Moss vs. T.O.
• 49ers CB Nate Clements on his top 10
• SportsNation: Rank the top 10
• Hashmarks blog: Mosley take on top 64
• Scouts Inc.: Ranking wideouts in draft
• Floyd Reese: Scouting criteria for WRs
HOT READ PART 2: All-time best WRs• Sando: Receivers revisited
• Sando: Jerry Rice is No. 1, but who's next?
• Zoom Gallery: Top 10 receivers of all time
• Sando: Who is Don Hutson?
• SportsNation: Wide receiver quiz
• SportsNation: Rank the all-time best
• Debate: Current WRs who belong in top 10
• Green, Sando on best WRs in history
• Luksa: Bob Hayes an overlooked great
BEST QUARTERBACKS OF ALL TIME• Sando: Ranking the all-time great QBs
• ZOOM gallery: Top 10 QBs of all time
• Chadiha: Ranking the best QBs by decade
• Klancnik: Best QBs by jersey numbers
• Scouts Inc.: Ranking the top 64 QBs of today
• SportsNation: Rank the greatest QBs | Vote
• SportsNation: Think you know QBs?
• Super Bowls: Ranking every QB's performance