Hall of Famer Upshaw loses battle with pancreatic cancer
NEW YORK -- Gene Upshaw, the Hall of Fame guard who during a quarter century as union head helped get NFL players free agency and the riches that came with it, has died. He was 63.
Upshaw died Wednesday night at his home near California's Lake Tahoe of pancreatic cancer, which was diagnosed only last Sunday, the NFL Players Association said Thursday. His wife, Terri, and sons Eugene Jr., Justin and Daniel were by his side.
Upshaw had not been feeling well for about a week; his ...
Read full story
Gene Upshaw (1945-2008)
News• Family, friends celebrate Upshaw at memorial
• Upshaw to be honored at all weekend games
• Players to wear uniform patch to honor Upshaw
• Public memorial to be held Sept. 2
• Upshaw to be remembered at preseason games
Commentary/features• Munson: Gene Upshaw remembered
• Chadiha: Upshaw's legacy a stronger union
• Clayton: Upshaw played game hard on, off field
• Clayton: What's next for NFLPA?
• Clayton: Who might succeed Upshaw?
• Garber: Upshaw's achievements (from 2006)
NFL blog network• NFL Nation blog: Upshaw
• Upshaw has on-field legacy too
• Bitter rival recalls Upshaw
Audio• Mike Ditka on Mike & Mike
• Former NFL executive Ernie Accorsi
• Former NFL player Robert Smith