Moment of silence to be held in Upshaw's memory
Hall of Fame player and longtime NFL union head Gene Upshaw will be remembered this weekend with a moment of silence at NFL exhibition games.
Upshaw, who served as the executive director of the NFL Players Association for 25 years, died Wednesday night of pancreatic cancer at his home near California's Lake Tahoe, just days after learning he had the disease. He was 63.
The NFL said Friday that it had sent a memo to the teams hosting the preseason games to ensure Upshaw would be honored. ...
Read full story
Gene Upshaw (1945-2008)
News• Family, friends celebrate Upshaw at memorial
• Upshaw to be honored at all weekend games
• Players to wear uniform patch to honor Upshaw
• Public memorial to be held Sept. 2
• Upshaw to be remembered at preseason games
Commentary/features• Munson: Gene Upshaw remembered
• Chadiha: Upshaw's legacy a stronger union
• Clayton: Upshaw played game hard on, off field
• Clayton: What's next for NFLPA?
• Clayton: Who might succeed Upshaw?
• Garber: Upshaw's achievements (from 2006)
NFL blog network• NFL Nation blog: Upshaw
• Upshaw has on-field legacy too
• Bitter rival recalls Upshaw
Audio• Mike Ditka on Mike & Mike
• Former NFL executive Ernie Accorsi
• Former NFL player Robert Smith