NFL players to wear uniform patch this season in honor of Upshaw
NEW YORK -- NFL players will wear a uniform patch this season to honor NFL Players' Association leader Gene Upshaw, who died Aug. 20.
The league announced Monday that the patch will have the initials GU and the number 63, which he wore while playing for the Oakland Raiders.
Upshaw died of pancreatic cancer just three days after he was diagnosed.
The patch will be worn on the left chest of jerseys and is scheduled to make its debut Thursday, when the New York Giants and Washington ...
Read full story
Gene Upshaw (1945-2008)
News• Family, friends celebrate Upshaw at memorial
• Upshaw to be honored at all weekend games
• Players to wear uniform patch to honor Upshaw
• Public memorial to be held Sept. 2
• Upshaw to be remembered at preseason games
Commentary/features• Munson: Gene Upshaw remembered
• Chadiha: Upshaw's legacy a stronger union
• Clayton: Upshaw played game hard on, off field
• Clayton: What's next for NFLPA?
• Clayton: Who might succeed Upshaw?
• Garber: Upshaw's achievements (from 2006)
NFL blog network• NFL Nation blog: Upshaw
• Upshaw has on-field legacy too
• Bitter rival recalls Upshaw
Audio• Mike Ditka on Mike & Mike
• Former NFL executive Ernie Accorsi
• Former NFL player Robert Smith