Extended circle of colleagues gather to share memories of Upshaw
WASHINGTON -- A stirring mix of laughter and tears filled the concert hall of the Kennedy Center on Tuesday as family, teammates and colleagues celebrated the life of Hall of Fame lineman and longtime NFL union head Gene Upshaw.
"He was my friend. He was my brother. I will never forget him," said Art Shell, who played alongside Upshaw on the Oakland Raiders offensive line for more than a decade. "Uppy, I'll miss you."
About 1,000 people gathered for the three-hour service, which featured ...
Read full story
Gene Upshaw (1945-2008)
News• Family, friends celebrate Upshaw at memorial
• Upshaw to be honored at all weekend games
• Players to wear uniform patch to honor Upshaw
• Public memorial to be held Sept. 2
• Upshaw to be remembered at preseason games
Commentary/features• Munson: Gene Upshaw remembered
• Chadiha: Upshaw's legacy a stronger union
• Clayton: Upshaw played game hard on, off field
• Clayton: What's next for NFLPA?
• Clayton: Who might succeed Upshaw?
• Garber: Upshaw's achievements (from 2006)
NFL blog network• NFL Nation blog: Upshaw
• Upshaw has on-field legacy too
• Bitter rival recalls Upshaw
Audio• Mike Ditka on Mike & Mike
• Former NFL executive Ernie Accorsi
• Former NFL player Robert Smith