Smith to leave Utah for draft
Utah junior cornerback Sean Smith will declare for the NFL draft, a person close to Smith said Monday.
Smith, 6-feet-3 and 210 pounds, is projected in the first two rounds, as is his teammate, sophomore defensive end Paul Kruger, who has also decided to go pro.
Both players have already begun training for the NFL scouting combine. Smith tied for the Mountain West Conference lead with five interceptions. He helped slow down Alabama receiver Julio Jones in the Utes' Sugar Bowl victory.
Smith hopes to run in the high 4.3 or low 4.4 40-yard dash at the combine in February.
Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Jets release Holmes, create more cap space
- Sources: Seahawks favorites to land Bennett
- Source: Steelers will release OLB Woodley
- Retiring Mendenhall: Tired of life in NFL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Utah Utes Crimson Football Charged Cotton T-Shirt