Report: Titans give Johnson contract
Johnson suffered a near-fatal weightlifting accident last fall. On Sept. 28, Johnson was doing bench presses when the bar slipped out of his hands as he tried to lift 275 pounds. From a full extension of his arms, the weight dropped on his neck. Johnson injured his throat and required emergency surgery.
Johnson, who had 1,552 yards and 19 touchdowns in his career at USC, will have a chance to compete for a roster spot thanks to the Titans' trade of LenDale White to the Seahawks Saturday. Chris Johnson is the Titans starter. Javon Ringer was a fifth-round pick last season.
Johnson bench pressed 225 pounds 13 times at the NFL scouting combine. He had been projected by some as a mid-round pick but went undrafted as his recovery continues.
Johnson had scored five touchdowns in USC's first four games before the accident.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Johnson to Bucs on massive deal
- Still kicking: Vinatieri agrees to Colts return
- Source: Texans release veteran TE Daniels
- Sources: If no trade, Bucs likely to cut Revis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's USC Trojans Cardinal Coaches Performance Polo
MORE FROM ESPN LOS ANGELES