Coach encourages Stroud to appeal
A statement released by the NFL said Stroud "took two steps and unnecessarily struck" McNair on a play in the third quarter. It was the second of two roughing-the-quarterback calls against Stroud in the Titans' 30-17 victory on Oct. 26.
After the game, Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio said he felt McNair got "star treatment." On Monday, he backed off that comment slightly, but nonetheless encouraged Stroud to appeal the fine.
"It's how all the quarterbacks are being protected," Del Rio said. "The league has made it very clear we're going to protect the quarterback, and certainly a guy who is an MVP candidate."
The Jaguars, coming off a 28-23 victory over Indianapolis, have a rematch with the Titans on Sunday.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Charles, Chiefs agree on extension
- Broncos' Bowlen has Alzheimer's, steps down
- Davis ends holdout, reports to 49ers camp
- Suggs wants Flacco to be more vocal leader
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Home Game Jersey Jacksonville Jaguars Blaine Gabbert #11