Smith's salary cap number cut nearly in half
The deal transforms $1.715 million of Smith's $2.25 million salary into a signing bonus prorated over the remaining five years of his contract. The $2.25 million includes a $500,000 roster bonus.
The restructuring drops Smith's base salary to $535,000, the NFL minimum for a five-year veteran and cuts his cap number nearly in half -- from $3.25 million to $1.878 million.
The salary cap is expected to be around $80 million per team this season.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch plans holdout over contract
- 49ers' Smith: I've stayed sober since Sept.
- NFL suspends Ravens RB Rice for 2 games
- Romo says his best football is yet to come
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Pittsburgh Steelers Black Focus Long Sleeve Shirt