Carter clears waivers, denies cocaine report

Originally Published: August 5, 2004
ESPN.com news services

Quincy Carter's Cowboys career is over. But his NFL career isn't, as long as another team is willing to give the quarterback another look.

Carter cleared waivers Thursday and, thus, becomes an unrestricted free agent who is free to sign with any team.

Where will he end up? That's still unknown, but ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Thursday night that the Minnesota Vikings contemplated putting in a waiver claim for Carter, but passed.

In a virtually unexplained move Wednesday, Dallas cut the player who began camp just four days earlier as its No. 1 quarterback. Carter started every game last season, when the Cowboys won 10 games and made the playoffs in coach Bill Parcells' first year as coach.

FANTASY FOCUS...

The release of Quincy Carter might be significant for fantasy owners. While we haven't seen Carter as a popular pick so far -- he's being drafted in only 12.5 percent of leagues -- the fact that he won't be the starting QB could help others. Carter was never the most accurate passer, but Vinny Testaverde could be. This makes Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn more attractive fantasy players. Johnson had one of his best seasons with Testaverde throwing him the ball in 1998, the only time Johnson scored double digits in TDs. And as a second fantasy quarterback, we still wouldn't strongly recommend Vinny, but as a late round pick, like Carter was, take a shot and see if he can duplicate his 2000 success of 3,721 yards and 21 scores.
  • Complete Draft Kit
  • Sources close to the team told ESPN and ESPN.com that Carter tested positive for an illegal substance before being released. Meanwhile, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli has confirmed that Carter spent time at a drug rehabilitation facility within the past 18 months. Carter already was in the NFL's substance abuse program, having tested positive for an illegal substance in the past.

    League sources told ESPN.com that despite the positive test, Carter is not under suspension by the league.

    It's unclear whether Carter failed a league- or club-administered drug test. But the possibility the test was given by the team, and not the NFL, drew the ire of union chief Gene Upshaw, according to The Washington Post.

    "I just heard about this," Upshaw told the Post for Thursday's editions. "I won't comment on a drug case. I will say under our collective bargaining agreement a club cannot conduct its own, independent drug testing and impose its own discipline. They just can't do it."

    Jones said late Thursday he hadn't been contacted by the league or the players' union about Carter's unexpected release, and didn't know if he would. But Jones said he would be willing to share with those groups any information they would want.

    "It would be speculation to sit here and ask if I got contacted by them to assume there was a problem," Jones said. "But it's not an issue. That was the last thing that I was concerned about relative to anything that's transpired."

    According to a broadcast report, Carter tested positive for cocaine, but in an interview with The Dallas Morning News, Carter said he was stunned by his release and called the aforementioned report "ridiculous."

    "I'm shocked. I'm at a loss for words," Carter told the newspaper. "The one thing I know and the people who have been around me all my life know is that cocaine has never been an issue for me. It never will be. And it's disturbing that a rumor like that would come out.

    "I have not one bad thing to say about the Dallas Cowboys, [coach] Bill Parcells or [owner] Jerry Jones. I have a lot of friends on that team. I just want my teammates and fans to know that cocaine rumor is ridiculous."

    Carter was mum about other aspects of his substance-abuse testing, however.

    "I can't discuss anything about the NFL's substance-abuse policy," Carter told the newspaper. "The NFL can't discuss anything, and the teams can't discuss anything."

    Cowboys sources told The Morning News that Jones and Parcells weren't comfortable that Carter was one failed test away from a suspension, so they cut him.

    The Cowboys remained vague Thursday about the reasons for Carter's release, and Parcells said he was focused on the future.

    "I'm not going to talk about this subject anymore. It's not worth it, doesn't really mean anything now," Parcells said. "I want to go where I know I've got to go now."

    In Wednesday's news conference to announce the move, Jones wouldn't specifically answer questions about reports that Carter violated the NFL's substance-abuse policy for a second time or say if Carter's release was based on non-football issues.

    "I think that we should leave it at it just was not a difficult decision, and not get into a definition of what it was about," Jones said.

    The quarterback left camp Wednesday wearing a gray-hooded Cowboys sweatshirt soon after being informed of the decision by Parcells and Jones.

    Parcells said just this week that Carter had "a leg up" at quarterback. After the first camp workout Saturday, Carter said he was confident of remaining the starter and didn't consider himself in an open competition for the job.

    The coach wouldn't say why there was such a drastic change in direction.

    "I just couldn't keep him in the plans," Parcells said. "I'm saddened by this because I've got 18 months invested in it ... two offseason programs and a regular season and a playoff game."

    Asked why the decision wasn't made earlier, Parcells said, "We only make decisions based on the information we have."

    Carter was a rookie in 2001 when he became Troy Aikman's successor after Banks was cut. This time, 40-year-old Vinny Testaverde takes over as the starter.

    The Cowboys went 10-6 last season when Carter threw for 3,302 yards and 17 touchdowns. But he had 21 interceptions, one of the highest totals in the league.

    Testaverde reunited with Parcells this summer hoping for a chance to start again. The Cowboys also traded for Drew Henson, a top prospect out of Michigan who spent the past three years playing baseball in the New York Yankees' minor league system.

    Parcells said Testaverde, who has 40,943 career yards passing, would start when the Cowboys play their season opener Sept. 12 at Minnesota. The coach plans to spend as much time in camp as possible getting Henson and second-year quarterback Tony Romo ready to play.

    "Vinny's a very unselfish player. He'll do his very best to monitor and help Henson and Romo," Parcells said. "I'm comfortable with the player and our team will be comfortable with the player."

    Parcells said there were no plans to bring more quarterbacks to camp.

    The coach spoke to the team about Carter's departure after the first of two practices Wednesday. Testaverde worked primarily with the starters during the afternoon workout.

    "That's good to know that you've got a veteran player at that position," defensive end Greg Ellis said. "Vinny's been under Bill for a while, so he knows Bill and I'm pretty sure he knows his plays, so I'm sure he can step in and get it done."

    Carter threw for 3,302 yards and 17 touchdowns in his only full season as the starter, but his 21 interceptions were among the most in the league. He was 16-15 as a starter.

    After starting the first seven games in 2002, Carter lost the starting job to Chad Hutchinson, who was cut by the Cowboys just before camp began last week.

    Testaverde was a Pro Bowl selection in 1998, when he led the New York Jets to the AFC title game under Parcells, but tore his Achilles tendon in the 1999 season opener. He lost his starting job to Chad Pennington two seasons ago.

    While starting the first seven games last season when Pennington was injured, Testaverde completed 123 of 198 passes for 1,385 yards, with seven touchdowns and two interceptions.

    Testaverde, one of just nine players with more than 40,000 career yards passing, said he doesn't have to change his demeanor.

    "For the most part, I approach it the same way," he said. "I came here to prepare myself as a starting quarterback. I was competing as if I was going to get the starting job."

    The Cowboys traded for Henson, a top prospect out of Michigan who spent the past three years playing baseball in the New York Yankees' minor league system. Romo didn't play during his rookie season.

    "Nothing's changed on my part," Henson said. "I'm trying to learn as fast as I can, I'm not trying to accelerate anything. I'm working as quickly and as hard as I can."

    Information from ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli and The Associated Press was used in this report.

    ALSO SEE