Cartilage damaged in practice
An MRI revealed that he has a tear to the lateral meniscus. When he can return cannot be determined until after he has the surgery to repair the damaged cartilage.
Williams missed the final six games of 2003 with a right knee injury.
A first-round pick in 1998, Williams started 58 straight games -- 32 at free safety and 26 at strong safety -- before his injury last year.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Giants RB Wilson cleared for full practices
- Pettine: Manziel's behavior will be 'non-story'
- Retirees ask judge to reverse concussion ruling
- Favre not worried about boos at Lambeau
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Forever Collectibles New York Giants Elite Backpack