Gannon hasn't ruled out return
The 38-year-old Gannon, the 2002 NFL MVP, announced Monday that he wouldn't return this season after consulting with four of the top neck and spine specialists in the country. He hasn't ruled out a return next season.
Gannon was knocked out of the game in the first quarter of the Raiders' 30-20 win over Tampa Bay on Sept. 26 after a helmet-to-helmet hit by linebacker Derrick Brooks.
This is the second straight season Gannon has been placed on IR. He was hurt in a 17-10 loss to Kansas City last Oct. 20, and had shoulder surgery in November. This offseason was the most productive in his 17-year career as he worked his way back.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- NFL on Gordon: Culpable for what's in body
- Cowboys sign OT Smith to $110M contract
- Steelers' Brown rips Sanders' QB comments
- RG III scoffs at zone read talk: Not who I am
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Northwest Oakland Raiders Bed Rest Pillow