<
>

Clarett had challenged the NFL draft rules

4/4/2005

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court declined to consider the
appeal of Maurice Clarett, the former Ohio State running back who
challenged the eligibility rules of the NFL draft.

The justices on Monday, without comment, let stand a lower court
ruling that said federal labor law allows NFL teams to set rules
for when players can enter the league.

Clarett was two years out of high school when he sued the NFL,
contending the league rule requiring that a player be at least
three years out of high school violates federal antitrust laws. He
said the stipulation was arbitrary and robbed young players of the
opportunity to earn a living.

Clarett's lawyer in the case, Alan Milstein, said the case
remains important even though Clarett is eligible for this month's
draft. He would not comment further, but Milstein has said
previously that Clarett continues to believe that other young
players deserve the right to go to the NFL early.

Reached at her home, Clarett's mother, Michelle, declined to
comment. The NFL also had no comment.

U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin in New York ruled in
Clarett's favor in February 2004. But a three-judge panel of the
2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed, blocking him from
entering the 2004 draft.

On the eve of that draft, Clarett filed an emergency appeal with
the Supreme Court, but Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and John Paul
Stevens each turned him down, saying there was no reason to let him
in the draft while his challenge of the rule was unresolved.

Regardless of how the high court acted Monday, Clarett is
eligible for this month's draft.

Clarett rushed for 1,237 yards and 16 touchdowns as a freshman
in 2002, leading Ohio State to the national championship. He was
suspended before the 2003 season for accepting money from a family
friend and lying about it to NCAA and Ohio State investigators.