Robbins to enter rehab facility for bipolar patients

4/8/2005 - Oakland Raiders

Former Oakland Raiders center Barret Robbins is scheduled to be released Friday from Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, where he has been since being shot in the chest Jan. 15 after an altercation with three police officers in Miami Beach, ESPN's Andrea Kremer reports.

Robbins, who has been charged with three counts of attempted felony murder, will enter an alcohol and drug rehab facility in Texas that specializes in patients with bipolar disorder, a condition from which Robbins suffers. He has been granted bond, which is contingent upon entering the treatment facility and successfully completing the program. Failing that, he would be returned to police custody.

The arrangement was approved Friday by Circuit Judge Kevin Emas,
who is presiding over the criminal case.

When asked about Robbins' health, Ed O'Donnell, Robbins' attorney, told Kremer, "His progress has been unbelievable."

O'Donnell said Robbins still is in a weakened state, but can walk on his own, is eating well and is lucid.

"He's very attuned to the fact that this could have been it for him," O'Donnell said.

In the meantime, the criminal case against Robbins is proceeding. O'Donnell said they were waiting on critical discovery involving the statements of the police officers and once they were obtained, depositions in the case would commence.

Robbins is best remembered for missing team meetings the night before the 2003 Super Bowl in San Diego. He spent Super Bowl Sunday in a hospital and later acknowledged that he stopped taking his medicine for depression and bipolar disorder.

Robbins, a former Pro Bowl player, was wounded Jan. 15 after Miami Beach police found him inside a women's restroom in a building housing a pub, a gym and a jewelry store. The pub owner called police after Robbins forced his way inside the building and refused to leave, a police report said.

Robbins growled, snarled and "was heard laughing throughout the attack," the report said.

According to the report, Robbins beat officer Colin Pfrogner to the floor, picked up detective Mark Schoenfeld and slammed him into one wall and then another, then grabbed detective Mike Muley by the face and rammed his head into a corner.

Robbins then grabbed Muley's forearms, and Muley shot Robbins twice in the torso, the report said. The former player dropped to his knees, grabbed his chest, snarled and growled again, swore at the officers and slapped Muley's gun out of his hand.

A charge of attempted felony murder can be filed when someone is injured during a felony. It carries a possible 30-year prison sentence. The three counts Robbins faces cover three officers involved in his arrest.

Robbins also was charged with two felony counts of attempting to deprive an officer of his weapon, two felony counts of resisting an officer with violence and misdemeanor trespassing.