Former Pro Bowl center still faces criminal charges

Updated: April 8, 2005, 5:57 PM ET
Associated Press

MIAMI -- Former Oakland Raiders lineman Barret Robbins, still recovering from gunshot wounds following a struggle with police, was transferred to a Texas hospital to continue physical rehabilitation and treatment for bipolar disorder.

Barret Robbins

The former Pro Bowl center who played at TCU faces criminal charges stemming from a Jan. 15 fight with police making a burglary call at a building that housed a pub, gym and jewelry store. Robbins, found hiding in a women's restroom, allegedly beat one police officer to the floor, slammed another into a wall and rammed a third officer's head into a wall. Robbins was shot twice in the chest by police.

Nearly three months later, Robbins was released Friday from Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. Robbins, who has posted a $51,000 bond, will move to a hospital near his father's home in Houston, said Robbins' attorney, Edward O'Donnell. An alcohol and drug rehab facility, the hospital specializes in patients with bipolar disorder.

The arrangement was approved Friday by Circuit Judge Kevin Emas, who is presiding over the criminal case.

Robbins, 31, has pleaded innocent to three counts of attempted felony murder and other charges. After a court status hearing Friday, O'Donnell said his client would remain in treatment "as long as it takes" and no trial date has been set.

O'Donnell said Robbins, who weighed as much as 380 pounds when he played football, lost about 100 pounds in the hospital but can walk and eat on his own.

"With his great physical condition, he was able to survive this," O'Donnell said.

Robbins' downward spiral began in early 2003, when he disappeared before the Super Bowl in San Diego, showed up the night before the game in an incoherent state and was deactivated for the game. After spending a month in an alcohol rehabilitation center, Robbins lost weight and regained his spot in the Raiders' starting lineup the following year.

But the Raiders released him last summer after he tested positive for steroids. Before the Miami Beach fight, he was arrested for allegedly hitting a security guard in San Francisco.

ESPN's Andrea Kramer contributed to this report.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press