Safety charged with assault, battery
Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor, described as a "person of interest" in an assault case, turned himself in to Miami-Dade County police on Saturday, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported. Taylor has been charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and simple battery.
The assault happened Wednesday night and shots were fired, police spokesman Mary Walters said. No one was injured.
According to a police statement, Taylor pointed a gun at an unidentified person Wednesday during a dispute over two all-terrain vehicles he claimed were stolen. Taylor left the scene but returned about 10 minutes later and punched one person.
Police had been looking for Taylor since Friday.
"We have just been made aware of a potential situation in Miami regarding Sean Taylor," the Redskins said in a statement Saturday night. "The representatives for Taylor are keeping us informed as to the developments of the situation. There is nothing we can add to the process at this time."
Taylor's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not return a phone message left by The Associated Press late Saturday.
Another man, Charles Elwood Caughman, threatened and chased another victim with a baseball bat, police said. Caughman, 19, was arrested later that day and charged with aggravated assault.
Taylor, who wants a new contract, has been working out in Miami despite pleas from coach Joe Gibbs to join the team in voluntary workouts at their home base in suburban Washington. He signed a seven-year, $18 million deal as the No. 5 overall draft pick in the 2004 draft.
The former Miami Hurricanes standout has had a tempestuous start to his NFL career.
He has fired two agents, was fined for skipping one day of the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium and was accused of spitting on a player during a game at Cincinnati, although he was not punished because the league said there was no video evidence.
He was also charged with drunken driving in October, when he was pulled over at 2:45 a.m. after attending a birthday party for receiver Rod Gardner. Those charges were dismissed in January.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Judge rejects Hernandez trial venue change
- Cowboys hopeful as Romo doesn't practice
- Good dawgs: Browns vie for collar charms
- Source: Chargers CB Verrett has torn labrum