Dropped: CFL's Argonauts release ex-Pro Bowler Rison
TORONTO -- Former Pro Bowl receiver Andre Rison was released by the CFL's Toronto Argonauts on Thursday.
Rison revived his career last season with Toronto after a four-year layoff from the NFL.
"It was mutual," Adam Rita, Toronto's vice president of football operations, told the Toronto Sun. "He understood we're not going to use him unless we're in dire straits. Hopefully, he'll get another job."
Bill Thies, Rison's representative, said the 38-year-old receiver is disappointed.
"It's a shame, he did everything that was asked of him this year," Thies told the newspaper. "He's had an amazing career, but if you ask him, he's flat-out not interested in retiring. He still has a good three, four years in him."
Rison arrived at training camp this year at about 185 pounds, approximately 30 less than when he joined the team last year. He was a long shot to make the starting lineup, then injured his ribs in the final exhibition game. He played in only one game this year, and didn't catch a pass.
Rison, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, spent 12 seasons in the NFL with Indianapolis, Atlanta, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Green Bay, Kansas City and Oakland.
He last played in the NFL in 2000 with Oakland. He was suspended for four games in 2001 for a repeat violation of the league's substance abuse policy and was out of football until last August, when he joined the Toronto. He caught 14 passes, including one for a touchdown, for 174 yards, He did not play in the playoffs.
Last year, Rison spent almost a month in jail for failing to pay child support for more than two years. He was released after paying $10,000 and agreeing to maintain monthly payments.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press