Panthers cut three, including running back Davis
A high-level source with one NFL team told ESPN.com the league has informed teams that any player placed on waivers during the period of uncertainty (which includes players in this story) can be recalled from waivers until there is more clarity about the pending free-agency period.
• FAQ on the NFL labor talks
Davis was expected to be released because of his age and his injuries. His release saved the team $2.8 million. Smart, a good backup running back and solid returner, was a little bit of a surprise. Buckner is one of the team leaders on defense but he's played 13 years and is 34 years old.
John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Cards will start Lindley again at QB
- Falcons RB Jackson likely out, sources say
- Harbaugh's brother: Family staying out of it
- Peyton intent on playing for Broncos in 2015